Thursday, October 1, 2009

The strange workings of college requirements -

Today I got my official Grad Check and Graduation Application completed; it's official, I only have 7 more required credits to complete and I have finished my Bachelor's degree in Audiology and Speech-Language Sciences!

I'm very excited to be getting to the end of this chapter in my life, for I know that Grad School will be a whole different experience. But I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the way things panned out for my college classroom experience. The classes didn't feel any harder than my high school courses. The writing assignments were graded with less than half of the rigorous attitude my previous instructors had applied. I had a job, which took away all of my social life and nearly all of my study time - yet I still managed to keep up my grades and keep most of my sanity along with it.
But while I feel like a few of the professors in my major understand my background and like how I pick up on the major things easily, half of the professors outside of my major all told me that Audiology shouldn't be what I'm doing - and it completely baffled me. Why not? I love it! I do well in it! So why should I not pursue it?

They echo the words that I wish were not so true - "You should be a lawyer, that's why."

Augh. I'm becoming a doctor. Isn't that enough?!

How do you feel about the program you're in? Have you found it much easier to get a Bachelor's degree than you thought? I know that when I was in high school, all of these things were "college prep," and they were scary. They were also, as I found out, unnecessary. At the end of your undergrad college experience, does it scare you that a Bachelor's is now the equivalent of a high school diploma in the 70's?

I both hate and love that my degree requires a doctorate to work in the field - but it also seems exhausting. Why is it our higher education institutions require a standardized test for entry that doesn't even show real skills as a student?
How do you feel about the college experience? Good, bad, neutral? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Amber =D

No comments:

Post a Comment