Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Is this really a fortune? Or merely a statement?


Okay, come on. When I cracked open the sugary, stiff shell of the fortune cookie last night at the Chinese buffet on 10th street, this was the last thing I expected to see. I've had fortunes that were blank, some nonexistent - I think my sister even got one that said "You have no fortune." But this?

Come on!!!

Sometimes I wonder who gets paid to write fortunes to people, and if they secretly say "in bed" at the end of them just for kicks like we all do when we open them. Do they bake the cookies with the fortunes inside? The obvious answer would be no - but I can't imagine that the cookies themselves are plyable enough to place the paper inside without breaking them after they're finished. I could be wrong, this is something I've never bothered to look up (of course, now I'll be compelled, and I'll blog again about that eventually.)

The best fortune I ever got is still locked tightly in my wallet. It says, "You must give up what you could lose in order to gain what you could not lose." I got this fortune just a week, if that, after I became engaged to Steve, and I was facing a lot of turmoil regarding the situation. It was also around this time that I had one of the strangest religious experience of my life - of which I've never told anyone (and still won't lol this isn't a confessional) but I really cherished this message. It seemed to speak of the hope for new things, instead of the stubborn clings to the norm.

I just wonder - what's the best fortune, or worst fortune, you've ever received in a fortune cookie?

Love to all,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment