Friday, September 11, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness


Hello all -

While I wish I couldn't say that this is the saddest month of the year, it really is. Not only is today the 8th anniversary of 9/11 (even though I don't think the event itself was what affected our generation as much as what our parents' reactions did) but it is also the third year anniversary of the loss of a wonderful young girl, miss Emily Keyes.

Emily was an unfortunate victim in a school shooting that took place on September 27th, 2006 at Platte Canyon High School in Bailey, Colorado. I remember that day vividly, and now that a few of the clubs I'm involved with have planned things for the 27th, it stings me to think of the other obligations I have that day outside of just sitting down, contemplating Emily, and praying for the good will of my hometown.

However, as much as the loss of Emily was great, she left in her absence a great wake of good thoughts and intentions, and her family restarted an old tradition called "Random Acts of Kindness for Emily." Obviously the acts of kindness don't need to be done for the sake of her - but Emily was killed in a random act of violence, and the best way to prevent such acts is to do the opposite.
I try to commit a random act of kindness at least once a week - sometimes I succeed in greater ways than others, and sometimes it's just opening the door for a crowd of people when I'm already late. It's putting myself out there as an advocate for some things that are embarassing to annouce to a class - and sometimes it's the kindness of keeping my mouth shut. Random acts of kindness are everywhere, and can be found in anything.

I feel like every time September comes around, and maybe it's because of school, there's a new start in my life of some kind. Every September that I can recall, something incredible, magical, or tragic has happened to change my life in some drastic way.
This September will be no different - and I'm making changes that I'm really struggling to make, but like to think I'll hold my head high in the end, and know my place.

I chose the picture of her that I did because, personally, I think she would have been horrified to have known that her school picture of that year was the one that got released. Her smile was so much more bright, so vibrant, and she gave so much sunshine to our world - I'm sorry, LifeTouch, but you just can't capture that.

Love to all,
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment